NDORMS embraces, values and supports its staff and students at all levels.
The Department has successfully been awarded three Athena SWAN awards since 2012. Our awards over the years recognise our efforts to promote a diverse and inclusive culture for all our staff and students.
We want to look after people and help them to work to the best of their abilities
The Athena process has given us the opportunity to support and promote our staff regardless of who they are or where they come from
NDORMS renewed its Athena SWAN Silver Award in October 2018. An Athena SWAN silver award means an institution has progressed in embedding the Athena principles within its culture whilst holding a significant record and achievement in addressing gender equality more broadly for the benefit of all staff and students.
Our Department's Silver Action Plan includes:
- Welcome and support for new staff
- Strengthen our departmental Mentoring and Personal Development Review (PDRs) schemes
- Support for students and post-docs on their career progression
- Improving staff awareness of promotion opportunities
- Raise staff awareness on reporting systems on bullying and harassment
- Support outreach activities
Read more in our application for the Athena Swan Silver Award.
THE STORY OF ATHENA SWAN
Meet the NDORMS Athena Swan Team
Our NDORMS Athena Swan Team meets termly to ensure progress with the Action Plan. The Athena process encouraged self-reflection, give us the opportunity to celebrate current successes and provides a framework for introducing organisational and cultural changes that truly provide the open, supportive and family-friendly research environment that we aim to have.